SSGNet Forums: BaK's Rambling... - SSGNet Forums

• 3 Pages
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BaK's Rambling... rabble rabble rabble

#1 User is offline   Bak 

• Group: Project Moderators

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

Continuum does black magic when it draws other player's ships on your screen. The timers for all the players are not synchronized very well, so if you just draw the ship with your best prediction, it jumps back and forth as either of the players' latency jumps back and forth (which happens often).

So how does the drawing continue to look smooth? Continuum cheats. The way I did it in Discretion, and the way I think it's done in Continuum, is that it adjusts each player's velocity so that their ship will work it's way to the correct position over time, rather that instantly resetting the position to the best prediction (which would make it jump on your screen). Want proof? Fly next to a player in Continuum that's drifting through space. Match his speed. If you look at him he'll be drifting faster and slower as Continuum adjusts his velocity for you. Black magic!

Anyways the code to do it in Discretion is below. There's two settings you can adjust, which are

[OtherShips]
    ;;; The amount of time in milliseconds we must "tweak" the velocity before the player's position is
    ;;; exactly what we predict it should be
    ;;; too low = bad because suffers from latency jerkiness
    ;;; too high = bad because we may never catch up to their real position (and have to reset more)
    Prediction Velocity Adjust Time = 300

;;; The distance, in pixels, the player's drawn position is allowed to stray from what we predict the real position is
    ;;; note that it never stays this far for more than a few fractions of a second because the velocity adjustment corrects it
    ;;; too low = bad because we reset often which causes jerkiness
    ;;; too high = bad because the player's position may not be drawn accurately
    Prediction Reset Distance = 40

During my tests it actually looks better in Discretion than in Continuum, but I'm not 100% this is always the case since when I run both side by side the fps on the non-selected one drops to ~10fps. I'll need to get another computer to test it if still looks good at high fps. I suspect that by modifying the settings it can look reasonable.

s->vel.x = xvel;
    s->vel.y = yvel;
    s->display = true;
    s->rot = sm->frameToRot(frame, s);

// look at the timestamp and compute the predicted "correct" position for the player
    int millDif = 10 * (((net->getServerMilliseconds()/10)
     & 0x0FFFF) - pi->getValue("timestamp"));
    // millDif is positive, how much later it is than when the event occured

// predicted correct positions
    int newx = xpos * 10000 + (xvel * millDif);
    int newy = ypos * 10000 + (yvel * millDif);

// these are how much we are "off" by
    int dx = (newx - s->loc.x)/10000;
    int dy = (newy - s->loc.y)/10000;

// resetDist is in pixels
    u32 maxDistSq = resetDist * resetDist;
    u32 distSq = dx * dx + dy * dy;

// if we're drawing too far away from the predicted position, jump the player to the correct spot
    if (distSq > maxDistSq)
    {
            s->loc.x = xpos * 10000;
            s->loc.y = ypos * 10000;
    }
    else
    {       // otherwise cheat with the velocities to fix the player position smoothly                      

// s->vel = pixels/10sec, velAdTime = ms, newx/s->loc.x = 10000*pixels
            if (s->loc.x / 10000 != newx / 10000)
                    s->vel.x += ((newx - s->loc.x)) / (velAdjustTime);

if (s->loc.y / 10000 != newy / 10000)
                    s->vel.y += ((newy - s->loc.y)) / (velAdjustTime);
    }

#2 User is offline   tcsoccerman 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

that's the kind of coding you show off with lol.

#3 User is offline   jake13jake 

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out what all the 10,000s are for. Generally I'd use something similar as a cop-out of a rounding situation (where there is generally a far more elegant solution). However, if it has some particular meaning, I'd set it as a constant.

I'm taking that s is the ship, and rot is the ship's rotation, though it would be more clear if the variable names were more verbose.
        No idea what pi is. No idea what the bitwise-and is for, though I know if it weren't there you could get rid of the 10* and /10. I'm !@#$%^&*uming that millDif is in units of milliseconds.

Since maxDistSq and distSq are only used once, I'd just calculate them in the conditional statement, Either that or give them verbose names, because then it would have the reason of being there for people to understand the code.

Unless this is integer division, I have honestly no clue why there's division in this statement:
        (s->loc.x / 10000 != newx / 10000)

s->vel.x = xvel;
        s->vel.y = yvel;
        s->display = true;
        s->rot = sm->frameToRot(frame, s);

// look at the timestamp and compute the predicted "correct" position for the player
        int millDif = 10 * (((net->getServerMilliseconds()/10)
         & 0x0FFFF) - pi->getValue("timestamp"));
        // millDif is positive, how much later it is than when the event occured

// predicted correct positions
        int newx = xpos * 10000 + (xvel * millDif);
        int newy = ypos * 10000 + (yvel * millDif);

// these are how much we are "off" by
        int dx = (newx - s->loc.x)/10000;
        int dy = (newy - s->loc.y)/10000;

// resetDist is in pixels
        u32 maxDistSq = resetDist * resetDist;
        u32 distSq = dx * dx + dy * dy;

// if we're drawing too far away from the predicted position, jump the player to the correct spot
        if (distSq > maxDistSq)
        {
                s->loc.x = xpos * 10000;
                s->loc.y = ypos * 10000;
        }
        else
        {       // otherwise cheat with the velocities to fix the player position smoothly                      

// s->vel = pixels/10sec, velAdTime = ms, newx/s->loc.x = 10000*pixels
                        s->vel.x += ((newx - s->loc.x)) / (velAdjustTime);

s->vel.y += ((newy - s->loc.y)) / (velAdjustTime);
        }

#4 User is offline   CypherJF 

• Group: SSGN VIP

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

I agree - no "magic numbers" please! http://www.ssforum.n...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#5 User is offline   Bak 

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

good point.

internally the ship's location is stored as 10000th of pixels. if it's not done this way, when the ships are moving very slowly they'll stop moving completely as you can't move a whole pixel in one frame iteration (and movement looks sloppy). Rounding won't work for this reason. I should make it a constant though... any name suggestions?

pi is the packet instance... pi->getValue("timestamp") is the timestamp we just received in the packet. The reason for the binary & is that in the player packet, the timestamp is stored as a 16 bit value, whereas when you do a timer sync it's 32 bits... continuum is re!@#$%^&*ed I know.

distSq and maxDistSq are verbose names.. distance squared and maximum distance squared... it's the pythagorean theorem without the square root which is unnecessary for just comparing distances.

everything is integer division, "(s->loc.x / 10000 != newx / 10000)" is checking whether the pixel of the Ship* (which we are drawing), is the same as the predicted actual pixel position.

#6 User is offline   CypherJF 

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

pixel movement threshold ?

#7 User is offline   Drake7707 

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

so if i get this right you're lineair interpolating the velocity to converge to the correct location ?

also

no reason to divide by 10000 http://www.ssforum.n...tyle_emoticons/default/blum.gif

#8 User is offline   Bak 

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

sort of, except that I'm not really interpolating just modifying the velocity to the correct location.

(5/3 == 4/3) but (5 != 4)

#9 User is offline   rootbear75 

• Group: Banned

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

kinda cool

This post has been edited by rootbear75: 04 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

#10 User is offline   Drake7707 

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

oh are those integer divisions http://www.ssforum.n...tyle_emoticons/default/blum.gif

#11 User is offline   Samapico 

• Group: Administrators
                        • Zone:SSCU 17th Parallel
                        • Squad:-=SMG=-

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

c/c++ divisions are always integer divisions (when dealing with integers, anyway)

#12 User is offline   Bak 

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

don't mix c and c++ code in the same executable -nt

#13 User is offline   D1st0rt 

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

what if you compile them both to machine instructions first

#14 User is offline   Dr Brain 

• Level 7
                              • Zone:Hyperspace

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Bak, on May 3 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

internally the ship's location is stored as 10000th of pixels. if it's not done this way, when the ships are moving very slowly they'll stop moving completely as you can't move a whole pixel in one frame iteration (and movement looks sloppy). Rounding won't work for this reason. I should make it a constant though... any name suggestions?

Maybe this is a silly question, but why not store them as 1/8192 of a pixel? Right and left shifting is much, much, much faster than multiplication and division, at least on Intel machines. I'm jumping in on this in the middle, so if there's a good reason to keep it at 10000, ignore me.

#15 User is offline   Bak 

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

it's convenient when you have to move things around, as speeds are in pixels / 10 seconds, so you can just take milliseconds * velocity to get the change in position. Although that's a pretty silly reason since you could convert from pixels / 10 seconds to pixels / 8.192 seconds when you load the settings. It probably is an optimization I could make at some point.

Integer multiplication should be pretty quick since you can do many things in parallel, division is probably a slowdown.

#16 User is offline   doc flabby 

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

Its unlikely after compiler optimisation it would make much difference imo.

#17 User is offline   Dr Brain 

• Level 7

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

doc flabby, on May 21 2008, 11:53 AM, said:

Its unlikely after compiler optimisation it would make much difference imo.

The machine instruction itself is what is slow. Division is a complicated multistage algorithm in the ALU. No compiler can change that. A complier might optimize a division to a right shift if it could prove that the divisor was power of two, but that's not the case when it's 10000.

True, there may still be little difference in terms of performance, but for something that is happening several times hundred times a second in a large zone, it's better to be fast.

#18 User is offline   doc flabby 

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Yes that is true, integer divisions (on the processor) are slow. However multiplication is fast. A very commen optimisation by most compliers convert integer divisions by a fixed number (eg x /10000) in source into integer multiplication instructions which are fast. this is what i'm refering too. You can check this by creating a simple c program which does a division and then dis!@#$%^&*ble it

#include 
                                      #include 

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
                                      {
                                        int x,y;
                                        x= 0;
                                        y = 0;
                                        printf("\n Enter an Number:  ");
                                        scanf("%i",&x);
                                        int ans = x / 10000;
                                        printf("\n Answer / 10000 = %i\n", ans);
                                        system("PAUSE");
                                        return 0;
                                      }

Dis!@#$%^&*mbly for optimized exe of code above

As you notice there are NO IDIV instructions. The division is carried out using MUL (multiply)
                                      004012F0  /$ 55                    PUSH EBP
                                      004012F1  |. B8 10000000        MOV EAX,10
                                      004012F6  |. 89E5                  MOV EBP,ESP
                                      004012F8  |. 83EC 18            SUB ESP,18
                                      004012FB  |. 83E4 F0            AND ESP,FFFFFFF0
                                      004012FE  |. E8 7D050000        CALL divide.00401880
                                      00401303  |. E8 F8000000        CALL divide.00401400
                                      00401308  |. C745 FC 000000>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-4],0                    ; ||||
                                      0040130F  |. C70424 0030400>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP],divide.00403000  ; ||||ASCII 0A," Enter an "
                                      00401316  |. E8 DD050000        CALL                       ; |||\printf
                                      0040131B  |. C70424 1530400>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP],divide.00403015  ; |||ASCII "%i"
                                      00401322  |. 8D4D FC            LEA ECX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-4]                        ; |||
                                      00401325  |. 894C24 04    MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP+4],ECX                      ; |||
                                      00401329  |. E8 C2050000        CALL                             ; ||\scanf
                                      0040132E  |. C70424 1830400>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP],divide.00403018  ; ||ASCII 0A," Answer / "
                                      00401335  |. 8B4D FC            MOV ECX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-4]                        ; ||
                                      00401338  |. BA AD8BDB68        MOV EDX,68DB8BAD                                                ; ||
                                      0040133D  |. 89C8                  MOV EAX,ECX                                                   ; ||
                                      0040133F  |. F7EA                  IMUL EDX                                                             ; ||
                                      00401341  |. 89C8                  MOV EAX,ECX                                                   ; ||
                                      00401343  |. C1F8 1F            SAR EAX,1F                                                        ; ||
                                      00401346  |. C1FA 0C            SAR EDX,0C                                                        ; ||
                                      00401349  |. 29C2                  SUB EDX,EAX                                                   ; ||
                                      0040134B  |. 895424 04    MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP+4],EDX                      ; ||
                                      0040134F  |. E8 A4050000        CALL                       ; |\printf
                                      00401354  |. C70424 2F30400>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[ESP],divide.0040302F  ; |ASCII "PAUSE"
                                      0040135B  |. E8 88050000        CALL                       ; \system
                                      00401360  |. C9                  LEAVE
                                      00401361  |. 31C0                  XOR EAX,EAX
                                      00401363  \. C3                     RETN

I've attached the exe if you need to verify http://www.ssforum.n...tyle_emoticons/default/blum.gif

Attached File(s)

•  divide.exe (5.5K)
                                        Number of downloads: 15

#19 User is offline   Dr Brain 

• Level 7

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

That's ok. I prefer AT&T syntax from my compiler writing days. I didn't realize one could make that optimization, but it's pretty nifty.

movl   -8(%ebp), %ecx
                                        movl    $1759218605, %edx
                                        movl    %ecx, %eax
                                        imull   %edx

Even then, a right shift will be faster than multiplication, but it won't be as marked as the difference from division.

#20 User is offline   Snrrrub 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

Bak, in this part:

if (distSq > maxDistSq)
                                          {
                                                  s->loc.x = xpos * 10000;
                                                  s->loc.y = ypos * 10000;
                                          }

you don't want to use xpos and ypos - instead, you want:

if (distSq > maxDistSq)
                                          {
                                                  s->loc.x = newx;
                                                  s->loc.y = newy;
                                          }

I had released virtually identical code in 2002: http://daccel.cvs.sourceforge.net/daccel/S...amp;view=markup

You should consider looking at the code I have already made available - it might prove useful.

-Snrrrub

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages
                                          • You cannot start a new topic
                                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users